Saturday, June 18, 2011

Sources and Sharing

This past school year I was Title I in the morning, and computer labs in the afternoon. K-3 had 2/30 minute labs per week. In one of those labs it was mandatory we did Lexia. The other was done based on Grade Level. What I did was found various websites for each grade level and set them up in ikeepbookmarks.com, then on a good day if the technology cooperated, the kids would come in and click on a button on IE and go to their class page. On the lower right side of my blogs is a link to Grade Level resources @Internet 4 classrooms. This was one of places I found ideas. Here are some of the students (and mine too) favorites that were not from Internet 4 Classrooms.

Random house revised seussville.com, and has limited games that are available. This is some of the well loved games of the old seussvile.com ...games will open in new window...students must return to this page not click on return to playground on seussville. If students click on return to playground they go to the new seussville

http://www.gamequarium.com/seuss.html

Put the comic strips in the right order to win in the ring

http://www.professorgarfield.org/ReadingRing/Strips/strips.html

Students picked a story and answered ?'s about the story

http://www.storylineonline.net/

Here is a lesson I did based on scrabble

Randomly pick a number of letters

Go to Scrabble Word Builder on Hasbro and enter those letters. It will then generate a list of words for you (copy and paste them to a word document for future reference)

I put the letters on the board, went over the directions and gave the students the option of using The Scrabble Dictionary to check their work.

I did not time my students, I just gave them 3 class periods, some have used this in some variations in centers so they were timed.When the students had checked their words with me, they had to add up the value of their words...(Tricked them didn't I)

(I used Scrabble Font on the worksheet below but note W is now worth 4 points since font was made)

click here to download my student sheet
 
Those are just some of them right now! Let me know if you have ones to share!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the cool sites! I needed some games to keep my 5 year old busy! :)

    ReplyDelete